World Rohingya Day to Raise Awareness of Rohingya Plight in Burma
Mississauga, Ontario – Burma Task Force, a leading voice against genocide in Burma, invites all Canadians to a peaceful demonstration on World Rohingya Day, Friday, August 19th, 2016, from 5 PM to 7 PM at the Mississauga Celebration Square, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, ON. This demonstration is being organized on World Rohingya Day, coinciding with World Humanitarian Day, to highlight the humanitarian crisis facing Rohingya, a Muslim minority being persecuted in Burma.
Rohingya are indigenous people of Burma living on their ancestral land, experiencing systemic persecution in Burma in the following ways and beyond:
- Citizenship has been taken away.
- Only 1 physician for every 83,000 Rohingya Muslims has been given.
- Around 250,000 Rohingya Muslims are living in concentration camps.
- Around 2 million Rohingya Muslims are living in refugee camps in neighbouring countries.
- Rohingya in concentration camps are fed less that WWII Nazis prisoners.
- Cannot marry without government permission, which is rarely granted.
- Marrying without permission results in 10 years in prison.
- No Schools.
- Not allowed to have a job.
- Cannot worship freely. Masjid shut down in Ramadan and no Friday Prayers allowed.
- Cannot travel freely.
- Sexual violence and rape of Rohingya women is on all time rise
World Rohingya Day, coinciding with the World Humanitarian Day, is being held for the first time across the USA, UK, and Canada to raise awareness among Canadians and to bring the international community’s attention to this humanitarian crisis involving a religious minority, with the assistance and complacency of the Burmese government. We invite Canadians tojoin thousands of Rohingya supporters world-wide, as they rally for Rohingya rights on World Rohingya Day on August 19th, 2016..
Burma Task Force, established in August 2013 , is a coalition of several organizations in the USA and Canada, working for the rights of Rohingya and other Burmese minorities. Our goal is to raise awareness about the brutal genocide against Rohingya and other ethnic groups. We aim to promote acceptance of Rohingya as an ethnic group of Burma; to open doors for relief organizations to work in Rakhine State and to improve the treatment of Rohingya refugees in India, Thailand, Malaysia & Bangladesh. We want the Burmese Government to provide access to media, International relief organizations, and human rights organizations to save Rohingyas from this horrific human rights violation.
For media inquiries, please contact: Canada@burmamuslims.org
Outreach Coordinator | Burma Task Force
416.402.3008 | email@example.com
2-2570 Haines Rd, Mississauga, ON L4Y 4A3
For more information about the plight of Rohangya, please visit: www.burmamuslims.org